Wednesday, May 13, 2009

MCTS: SQL 2005 Exam 70-431

I have recently acquired a new position at my current place of employment. My responsibilities now include managing and administering database servers running Microsoft SQL 2005.

Note, that my experience with SQL was limited at best. I decided to look into taking the 70-431 exam (along with two other exams, but lets just concentrate on one right now) to get certified as a SQL DBA.

I began my studying process by watching a few CBT nuggets videos. Now CBT is usually fantastic, and this video was no different, however I found that I just wasn't absorbing the information. You see Microsoft has apperantly changed the way admins handle SQL buy adding the SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) console. It's a fantastic graphical tool, but I just didn't feel like I understood how databases really work.

I realized that I needed a really good basic understanding of the SQL language before diving into using the fancy SSMS console. I picked up this book:


You won't become an expert by reading through it, but it gave me great insight on how TSQL (Transact SQL) works. It's helping me build a solid foundation going into the actual 70-431 study material, and I feel it will serve as a tremendous reference tool in the future.

Once I'm finished with this book, I will begin my certification studies using Testout's 70-431 material.

0 comments:

Tu comentario será moderado la primera vez que lo hagas al igual que si incluyes enlaces. A partir de ahi no ser necesario si usas los mismos datos y mantienes la cordura. No se publicarán insultos, difamaciones o faltas de respeto hacia los lectores y comentaristas de este blog.